Friday, December 16, 2016

Why I Love Food and Dining Out


Food is something that I love very much. Not because of cooking new dishes or going out to eat per say., I do enjoy the variety of selections given on a menu, and dining and the different venues which serve them.
I love food for the purpose of being ABLE to eat FOOD. Something I should of never of been able to do according to all the medical experts. Though I proved the experts and doctors wrong! 
This is just ONE of the reasons I love trying new restaurants and dishes. It’s not only a social experience for me personally, but also a way for me to try new things that I know I could never whip up on my own cooking at home.  Though, there is something to be said for sticking to the basics. Such as a well prepared french toast dish and scrambled eggs to top it off. 


Lincoln's Historic Haymarket Area: Downtown

Lincoln, NE has grown in the past few years into a Food Hub in my opinion. We have all different types of cuisines to choose from to bagel shops to a nice sit-down meal at one of our many bistros in town, and no one restaurant or dish is the same (unless it is a chain restaurant). Go downtown into the Haymarket and the possibilities are endless to choose from!

The fact was that I was never supposed to eat a single bite, or drink a single sip by mouth due to a very serious digestive disease called Short Bowel Syndrome (www.shortbowelfoundation.org) where I was born missing all but 10.2cm of my small intestine. That important piece of piping in your body that helps break down and digest food! My meals should start and stop with a bag of intravenous nutrition hanging on an IV pole or in a backpack I used to carry on me. The condition comes with a stick set of dietary needs and restrictions. I personally do not have any stick dietary limits. Though I still keep a careful eye out for things that might not settle well, mostly sugar.


Before I took up the hobby of going out to eat, then judging restaurants and their dishes (in my head), I am a non-profit executive who runs the very foundation which serves the patients of Short Bowel Syndrome and their families. Food and nutrition is a topic of everyday discussion in our community.
In 2016 I found myself eating out quite a bit. Why it was hard on the wallet at times, it is something that I enjoy doing. It is a social interaction for one, in addition to trying things you typically would not think of whipping up at home. It is a personal win-win.

So... What are some of my favorite hot spots around Lincoln? My next post will detail that! Keep in mind this is just "the list", which in 2017 I will begin to blog and review on. If you live in Lincoln, NE. Love Food and Dining, and input on where to eat.... this is the blog to follow! Why I am no professional food critic (yet anyways). I do have a specific palate for taste. 

In addition to learning about some of my favorite local hot-spots, when I travel for my work, eating out is how I get by that week for food. New Restaurants and New Experiences that I will be sure to blog about. Who knows, you might end up at the same place one day.... you never know!
Highway 77 December Sunset

Follow Andy and his experinces on Twitter: @AjaboDiningExp

1 comment:

  1. Andy I look forward to your reviews especially from one who can't take food for granted. You and the others in the short bowel community realized how vital food is to all our lives and the consequences of not being able to fully digest all it's nutrients. Without food we die. It might as well be great food! Where is the good food in the Lincoln area. Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete