Sunday, December 25, 2016

Bagles and Joe

Bagel's and Joe
4701 Old Cheney Rd, Lincoln, NE 68516
1777 N 86th, Lincoln, NE 68505
Bagles and Joe Menu

My dad built our first house behind a catholic church & school, across from an apartment complex in 1992. The apartments were a favorite place for myself. brother, and the neighbor kids to ride their bikes around, primarily because there was a really steep hill that was really fun to speed down.

In 1993, I would be riding my bike down that apartment complex hill for an entirely different reason. Food of course, and no not the small grocery store in the little shopping complex off to the side of the apartments. A small local bagel shop opened called Bagels and Joe. In 1993, it was a small bagel shop, some might consider it a coffeehouse as well. They served an assortment of freshly made bagels, and their signature in house cream cheeses. During a time when Lincoln did not have a Starbucks or Scooter's, this was the place to come visit.

When they opened in 1993, they promised to provide:
  • QUALITY – we use only the freshest high quality ingredients.
  • FRIENDLY – you’ll find us friendly, helpful and eager to help you make selections.
  • PASSION – we take our product, but not ourselves seriously. Our goal is to serve our
    patrons to the best of our ability. If we disappoint you in any way we hope you let us know;
    we’ll do everything we can to make things right.
  • BUY LOCAL – locally owned and operated, we’re proud to be Lincoln’s
    first, and only, independent bagel house.

Since the last several years, on Friday evenings they typically have live music from a local band or group, who come in and play while you can sit, enjoy a meal, or a drink and each others company.

Now that I am older, I can appreciate different foods. When I was a kid, I would limit myself to what I know. For example, I doubt when I was 10, I would of ordered the Cranberry Turkey Sandwich, because I didn't like cranberry's at the time (I just recently I think for the first time, tried Cranberry Sauce on Thanksgiving in 2016---I was missing out). Though what a pick to make if you go to visit! Today, I can also see myself working on my laptop there for a few hours because of the quite atmosphere it provides.

My friend Don and I decided to meet for lunch there. We went around 11:45. I got there early, and around 11:25 it was slightly busy. Guests were scattered through the "old dining room" as I like to call it, because when I was younger, the original shop back in 1993, was not as big as it is in today 2016. While others were scattered into the "additional dining room" which was added on a few years ago.

I started out with a orange cranberry scone, and a large hot tea. I love their assortment of black teas (they also have an assortment of green/herbal teas to choose from). The Old Republic of Tea is the brand that they use and it is very good. I choose the Ginger Peach flavor, which is a black tea with peach and a hint of ginger in it. The scone was OK, I wish I would of had them heat it up a bit though, but no less it was a good pastry, even dry and cold.

Once Don arrived, we got lunch. Don got the Italian, which is made of, lean smoked ham, roma tomato, swiss, roasted red bell pepper strips, capicollo and house-made coul. I got the Cranberry Turkey Deli Sandwich, which is made of cranberry, turkey, walnuts, parsley & craisin. 

I also got an Irish Cream Italian Soda. Which is made from Irish Cream syrup, and club soda. If you wish you can add some cream to it, but not required. Which is like "soda" or "pop" but without the excess of calories (use sugar free syrup and its better than real soda in my opinion). It is also easy to make at home if you wanted to. I do. The syrups can be found in the coffee isle of your grocery store.

The sandwich I had is easily compared to a chicken salad sandwich, except freshly made on a cranberry orange bagel, with a choice of toasted or non toasted, (get it toasted--for chicken people--they also have chicken salad). It has a sweet crunch in each bite which is from the walnuts and cranberries. It is the bagel is what filled me up more than the salad itself, though that doesn't take anything away from it. It comes with lettuce on it, I got mine without.

Don thought it was very savory with a touch of heat to it, something that he was not expecting, but was pleasantly pleased with. He also had a bowl of the Broccoli and Cheddar soup. Which looked creamy, and of course cheesy. As you can tell he was enjoying it. The meal was not to big, nor to small, but yet fulfilling. To me, Don's sandwich looked like it was put into a wood fire grill, which made it more appealing in presentation. 

Bagel's and Joe is a must visit. For Breakfast or Lunch, they will have something that you will surely enjoy. It's price is very reasonable, it is a local shop, so every dollar you spend supports the business and the Lincoln Small Business Community, which is something Lincoln, NE is known for.

Hope you enjoyed the review of Bagel's and Joe. I do see myself continuing to frequent there again over hopefully the next 20 years! It's tradition and values are one's that can not be beat.

Be Sure to subscribe and follow us on Twitter for our Reviews and News
@ajabofoodblog






No comments:

Post a Comment